Sunday, December 4, 2011

Why is anyone paying attention to this?

I have been noticing the headlines in the Lexington Herald-Leader -- and even some in national media -- about some church in BFE, Ky., that voted against accepting interracial couples.

I had not read any of the stories, because the headline told me all I needed to know -- and I could never understand why this story was getting so much attention. Churches all over the rural south would vote this way, should it come up for a vote.

Ah, but thankfully, it's been resolved in a politically correct manner:

Pike church reverses course, votes to welcome people of all races


...yes, they will now "welcome" people of all races. Uh-huh.

Two things I learned after finally reading the story that had gone on too long: 1.) it was a free will baptist church, which is one of the more hellfire-and-brimstone of the bunch (I know from experience); and 2.) the original vote was 9-6, while the new vote to welcome all races was 16-0.

All this attention for 15-16 backwards honkies in Podunk?

No comments:

Post a Comment