Thursday, November 11, 2004

From IMCT - November 11, 2004


My daughter's third-grade class had a Veteran's Day program today, and at one point the class did a medley of fight songs (introduced by one very lovely and smart third-grader, I might add), with the members of the different branches of the armed forces standing during their fight song. All around the gymnasium, men (no women in this group) stood up at different intervals, and it made me realize how little we pay attention to the individual everyday heroes all around us.

Progressives are accused of being unpatriotic, and I have to admit I'm somewhat leery of unquestioning patriotic fervor. But I appreciate the enormous sacrifice our armed forces make; even the ones who come away completely unharmed physically make a great sacrifice in terms of time away from home and family.

I just believe that we should only ask them to make those tremendous sacrifices when absolutely necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment